Architect: Thomas Rowe
Address: 158 Bridge Road
Style: High Victorian Gothic
Status: Heritage item. Classified by the National Trust as part of a group which includes Reussdale and The Hermitage.
This church was originally built in 1876-80 on the corner of Parramatta and Glebe Point Roads opposite the renovated University Hotel. In 1927 the noise of the traffic at Glebe’s busiest corner caused the Presbyterians to move the church, stone by numbered stone, to its present location. Declining congregations forced the Church to consolidate its activities at Hartford (at 244 Glebe Point Road) and it was only the credit squeeze of the early 1970s that saved the church from demolition for a bloom of bedsitters.
The building and grounds were renovated to become The Abbey Restaurant which traded for many years. The site was recently sold and the building is currently being restored.