The pocket park next to this Georgian house was once its front lawn, and gives the best view of its symmetrical facade. Like many old Glebe houses this one remained intact through a variety of different uses, and has now been beautifully restored.
In the 1850s Ferry Road was just an access road and Rothwell Lodge, a large Georgian farmhouse, faced east toward the City. It was built for Rev William Boyce (1803-99), a fellow Methodist and friend of Wigram Allen of Toxteth Park, whose second marriage was to Allen’s daughter, Mary. For many years it was a lodging house with a factory at the rear. It has been restored as a dwelling and office by the leading heritage architect, Otto Cserhalmi. Because of its orientation it is best viewed from Ernest Pederson Reserve which was once the front lawn of Rothwell Lodge. Descend into it and you can see the stone lower floor and the hardwood supporting columns, and on the floor above the much more delicate balustrade, and the cedar joinery of the french doors and fanlights. The bedrooms are behind the dormers set in the roof.
Pederson (b.1910-d.1974) is the first in a series of Labor Party figures we shall encounter on this walk. Naming streets and parks after local identities, landowners and estates was a common practice. Pederson was an ALP alderman on the first City Council to incorporate Glebe (1953). This pocket park was the first in Glebe to be planted with natives.
Turn right into Avon Street (named after Avon House, built by George Miller in 1837, since demolished) and descend the steps into another pocket park, this one much more recent.