The R D Watt building was built for agriculture in 1916 in Federation Style. It is still part of that Faculty and has not been massively revamped.
Look at the porch with its carved stone features including elaborate carved animals, bosses and gargoyles and art nouveau details. This was started in 1910 when the newly appointed Watt made sketches of the kind of building and fittings required for his new department and had discussions with the government Architect.
Building began in 1914, being completed in 1916, although not reasonably equipped until 1920. The design was completed by Vernon’s successor George McRae. John Barr of the Government Architects Branch undertook the detailed design in June/July 1912. The original drawings show that the ground floor contained laboratories, theatres, a museum and library as well as rooms for the professors. The first floor contained labs, theatres and a nitrogen store room.
Proceeding downhill, below the RD Watt building was until recently the site of one of the less successful ‘Wallace collection’ buildings — intended to be temporary but lasting sixty years. The site now awaits the construction of a new Arts Faculty building.